MAHA MUNI PAGODA
The Mahamuni Buddha image (literal meaning: The Great Sage) is defined in this temple, and originally came from Arakan. It is higly venerated in Burma and central to many people’s lives, as it is seen as an expression of representing the Buddha’s life.
According to the legend, the Buddha visited the Dhanyawadi city of Arakan in 554 BC. King Sanda Thuriya requested that an image was cast of him. After casting the Great Image, the Buddha breathed upon it, and thereafter the image became the exact likeness of the Mahamuni.
MANDALAY ROYAL PALACE
The palace was constructed, between 1857 as part of King Mindon’s founding of the new royal capital city of Mandalay.
Much of the palace compound was destroyed during World War II by allied bombing; only the royal mint and the watch tower survived. A replica of the palace was rebuilt in the 1990s with some modern materials.
The pagoda itself was built as part of the traditional foundations of the new royal city which also included a pitakat taik or library for religious scriptures, but King Mindon wanted to leave a great work of merit for posterity meant to last five millennia after the Gautama Buddha who lived around 500 BC. It took a scribe three days to copy both the obverse and the reverse sides, and a stonemason could finish up to 18 lines a day. All The stones were completed and opened to the public on 4 May 1868.
KYAUK TAW GYI PAGODA
The image of the Buddha is officially known as Maha Thetkya Mayazein. Construction began in 1853 under the patronage of King Mindon Min. but the site was not completed until 1878 because of internal discord in the mid-1860s, including a palace rebellion.
The figure was sculpted from a single block of pale green marble quarried at Sagyin, 12 miles (19km) north of Mandalay. The stone block was transported over the course of 13 days, requiring the manpower of 10,000 to 12,000 men, to the temple site, where it was carved. The image was consecrated in 1865.
Mandalay Hill is a 240 metres (790 ft) hill that is located to the northeast of the city centre of Mandalay in Myanmar. The city took its name from the hill. Mandalay Hill is known for its abundance of pagodas and monasteries, and has been a major pilgrimage site for Burmese Buddhists for nearly two centuries. At the top of the hill is the Sutaungpyei (literally wish-fulfilling) Pagoda.
GOLDEN PALACE MONASTERY
The Shwenandaw Monastery is one of the finest examples of traditional 19th century wooden monastery building in the country. The monastery that is also known as the Shwenandaw Kyaung is a very finely carved teak wooden monastery building just outside the Mandalay Royal Palace, on the same grounds as the Atumashi Monastery. The monastery is also called the Golden Palace Monastery, because it used to be part of the Mandalay Royal Palace and was completely glided.
Both exterior and interior of the monastery are decorated with intericate wood carvings.
Atumashi Monastery is located at the North Eastern part of the Mandalay Palace. Its only about 10 minutes drive from the royal palace.
The Atumashi Kyaung meaning Incomparable Monastery (Maha Atulawaiyan Kyaungdawgyi), was originally built in 1857 by King Mindon (1853-1879), who had founded his new capital of Upper Burma at Mandalay just a few years earlier in 1855. It was one of the King’s last great religious construction project.
U BEIN BRIDGE
U Bein Bridge is a crossing that spans the Taungthaman Lake near Amarapura in Myanmar. The (0.75 mi) bridge was built around 1859 and is believed to be the oldest and (once) longest teakwood bridge in the world. Construction began when the capital of Ava Kingdom moved to Amarapura, and the bridge is named after the mayor who had it built.
KAUNG MU TAW PAGODA
Yaza Mani Sula Kunghmudaw is a large pagoda on the northwestern outskirts of Sagaing in central Myanmar (Burma). Modeled after the Ruwanwelisaya pagoda of Sri Lanka, the Kaunghmudaw is known for its egg-shapped design, which stands out among more traditional-style, pyramid-shaped Burmese pagodas. The stupa’s formal name Yaza Mani Sula signifies the enshrinement of Buddhist relics inside its relic chamber.
PA HTO TAW GYI
The Pahtodawgyi is an incomplete monument stupa in Mingun, approximately 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) northwest of Mandalay in Sagaing Region in central Myanmar (formerly Burma). The ruins are the remains of a massive construction project begun by King Bodawpaya in 1790 which was intentionally left unfinished. The pahtodawgyi is seen as the physical manifestations of the well known eccentricities of Bodawpaya. He set up an observation post on an island off Mingun to personally supervise the construction of the temple.
The Mingun Bell is located in Mingun, Sagaing Region, Myanmar. It was the heaviest functioning bell in the world at several times in history. The weight of the bell is 55,555 viss (90,718 kilograms or 199,999 pounds). This number is conveniently remembered by many people in Myanmar as a mnemonic “Min Hpyu Hma Hman Pyaw” with the consonants representing the number 5 in Burmese astronomy and mumerology. the weight of the bell and its mnemonic words are written on the surface of the bell in white.
MYA THEIN DAN PAGODA
Myatheindan Pagoda is a large pagoda on the northern side of Mingun in Sagaing Region in Myanmar, on the western bank of the Irrawaddy River. It is approximately 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) northwest of Mandalay and is located in proximity of the Mingun Pahtodawgyi.
The Pagoda is painted white and is odeled on the physical description of the Buddhist sacred mountain, Mount Meru. The Pagoda was built in 1816 by Bagyidaw. It is dedicated to the memory of his first consort and cousin. Princess Hsinbyume Lit. Princess White Elephant, 1789-1812 who had died in childbirth in a site nearby.